Sunday, October 22, 2006

Why I haven't a clue


















It is common now to see blogs where the author writes a statement on Why I left the Episcopal Church or Why I left the Roman Catholic Church, or "Why I am staying Anglican." (notice he didn't say "Episcopal.") I had hoped to avoid such a statement. I hate Church politics but it is difficult, or even impossible, to separate politics from anything else. As my friend Adam Clayton says in Rattle in Hum, you can't separate politics from music, from sport, from art, etc.... For better or for worse this is true.

Bishop Ackerman recently gave an address to the assembly of Forward in Faith. In it he bluntly says "there is no safe place for Anglo-Catholics" in America. I was stuck by the inherent fatalism in this statement, but I think he's right. Everything hinges upon the creation of a new province. Something that has never happened before. And which may never happen.

As an Anglo-Catholic in the Episcopal Church I am caught between a rock and a hard place. Whether we like it or not, practicing Traditional Catholic Anglicanism demands you make a political decision.

This has been made much more clear to me now that I live in central PA. There are no Anglo-Catholic parishes in the Episcopal Church in the Diocese of central PA. So, I am screwed. I recently decided to visit a continuing church (ACA) in Willamsport (about 45 mins. North of Norry). I was frankly surprised how little it mattered to me where I worshiped. (I guess I am not so shallow after all ;-) The church of the incarnation meets in a old store front. They use the 1928 BCP and the Anglican Missal. Their service was practically identical to GASP's service (my church in Balto). It was paired down due to the fact that they don't have an organ, there was no musical accompaniment at all and no choir. But this did not bother me. The essentials where there. In fact I found that stripping the service to its essentials can be helpful. I found that the worship was much more intentional. I'm not saying that I would do away with the organ all together but it can become more performance less prayer....

After the service I got the chance to speak with the priest. He thinks its insane that a person with my Catholic views would remain in TEC. He was an Episcopal priest himself until he was deposed, back in 2004, for wanting to join Forward in Faith. (There is no safe place.)

It is clear that TEC has walked away from the Catholic faith the evidence is every where (our PB-elect doesn't even believe in the after-life, views the scriptures simply as metaphor, denies Jesus Christ's gospel of eternal salvation by grace through faith.) TEC is so far beyond the pale of Anglicanism even the basic tenets of Christianity are rejected. So, why am I still in this church and why am I applying to be a postulant in this church? How could I ever promise obedience to bishops who aren't even Christian? (BTW, a Christian is someone who can say the Creeds and believe every word). I feel that it is indeed a cop out to want to be a part of a church just because there are still 3 Anglo-Catholic bishops left.

This ACA priest wants me to join them. I'd like to but I can't for the opposite reason I can't support TEC. I share their faith (and the particular expression of that faith) but I can't sign up to join a church which has a structure I don't agree with, namely the fact that the continuing churches (all 50+ of them) spilt from each other due to the egos of the bishops which started them. This is not Catholic. If the churches which split back in the 70s had stayed together it would be a completely different story. I would join their church right now. The priest I spoke with claims that the ACA is no longer political.... well if that's true than unite with your brother and sisters in the rest of the continuum. I have more hope for a separate province than I do with the continuum reuniting. I think it will happen but the current bishops will have to die first (crude but true). I think the responsibility of reuniting the continuum will lie with the next generation. They are taking steps but they should do much more.

So, I'm screwed.

As a member of the Episcopal Church discerning a call to the priesthood, I need support. Which means support from other churches in TEC (and who would give me support?). I don't want to leave TEC; I want TEC to believe what it says it believes (see Creeds and BCP). So who should be the one leaving? The liberal EC who want to contradict what it means to be Anglican and Christian or the orthodox in TEC?

I wait with bated breath for the Primates meeting in Feb. 07 where TEC will be kicked out of the Communion (or at least be given reduced status as Canterbury suggested) opening the way for a new province for orthodox parishes.....

7 comments:

Baus said...

My dear brother,
You are faced with a decision much more weighty than any political one.
You must take a confessional stance; it's a question of faith commitment.

For, it appears you are holding catholicity (or perhaps unity) over-against sanctity (and perhaps apostolicity, or other aspects of orthodoxy). Of course, I am refering to that ecclesial doctrine of the one, holy, universal, and apostolic church.

Is it possible that these be at odds with each other? Is our God, after all, a God of disorder and not of peace? Or is it rather the case that the TEC's catholicity is merely a form of godliness which denies its power?

But you are waiting on the Lord for the 7 Feb Primates' judgment. This is good. But when their ruling comes down... which side are you on, boy?

My prayer for you.

jeff said...

i hear you brother. i'm no scab....

jeff said...

To reiterate: the question is where is the distinction between the “invisible” One, Holy Catholic, and Apostolic Church and the “visible” One, Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church. It is certainly a matter of faith to remain in the Episcopal Church…. This distinction is why it is so temping for Anglo-Catholics to join the Roman (or Orthodox) Church. The Roman Church, in their doctrine says they are the visible church…. It is not enough for me to say I’m a member of the One, Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church. Which visible Church is the nearest expression of it? This is why I am Anglican. I believe the Anglican Church in its Reformed Catholic expression (both in Faith and Order) is the closest thing. But again, which Reformed Catholic church (Anglican denomination) should I belong? So, it still remains a political decision.

Baus said...

I know that what you decide (viz. stay with, or leave ECUSA) depends on the fallout of 7Feb.
But what I mean by your decision being confessional is that it seems you are saying ECUSA has catholicity, but not sanctity...
and in saying that, you taking a stance on the meaning of catholicity itself.

And I mean here visible participation in catholicity, for visibily there are many "churches," none of which is by itself (ie, exclusively) the visible catholic church.
Invisible catholicity is the elect in all ages.

But if you (as I suspect) have actually taken a difference stance on the meaning of catholicity (one that is not at odds with sanctity or other aspects of orthodoxy), then your faith commitment is actually that ECUSA is not genuinely catholic afterall.
See what I mean?

So, if the 7Feb decision does not have the effect of re-affirming/establishing genuine catholicity... then you will leave. No?

And where can you go?
To join the continuum (in whatever particular embodiment) would amount to a confessional stance / faith commitment that they are genuinely catholic; that such-n-such a church (contra ECUSA) visibly participates in catholicity.

So, I also mean to say you are not screwed. Your confession can parse the politics. Fear not.

J. Gordon Anderson said...

As my former spiritual director put it, "There are 'continuing churches' and then there are 'continuing churches'." I have heard the 50+ continuing churches statistics, but many, if not most of them, do not really qualify as churches. They have no congregations, no structures, no canons, no rules and regulations. There are really only a few that are real, viable churches with a legitimate "raison d'etre". And most of them - all but a few - were one church originally. In time I believe we will reunite, as we have been doing.

Unity is a tricky thing. The orthodox do not have visible unity. When I lived in SE Baltimore, there were, within three block of each other, an OCA parish, a Moscow Patriarachite parish; and a ROCOR parish. All three Russian Orthodox, and all three not in communion with each other! And that was just the Russians. Rome actually has overlapping jurisdiction as well, as their Byzantine/Ukranian parishes have different bishops than their Latin Rite parishes. They also have significant theological diversity within them.

No matter where you, or what denomination or group you minister in, you will have difficulties and problems. There will be people out to get you, and who try to distract you from serving God. Even in a conservative RC diocese like Arlington, VA there are problems (www.truthinarlington.com). Conservative priests get railroaded by conservative bishops sometimes. You just have to decide, I guess, what mess you want to deal with, because every church has a mess somewhere. No church is perfect. Don't let it get you down. The key, I guess, is to discern as best as possible where God is calling you, and under what "group" can you most effectively minister to others and spread the Gospel. But you have to make that decision to go somewhere.

Anonymous said...

My spiritual journey passed through Presbyterianism a few years back (PCA). One of the most comforting concepts I discovered there was "Simul iustus et peccator", or, Simultaneously sinful AND justified. We are Children of God, yet we still sin. The disruptions & randomness & pettiness of the continuing churches is the result of the sinful side of our nature. Sure, the continuing churches are full of imperfections (sin). Sure there are tons of reasons why we can hold our noses at them...

BUT, that said, "To whom can we turn, You have the words of eternal Life". Does the Episcopal Church have the words of eternal life? Not while preaching "come as you are, stay as you are".

I have ended up an ACA member- "When do you play a crooked wheel? When it's the only game in town". For all their faults, the continuing churches HAVE the Word. Simul iustus et peccator.

Maybe the continuing church you are attending NEEDS you to add some - well, consistency? (if it were a business, I would say, professionalism) to it..... Maybe you are sent there to be a Helper (eleazer)to others....

Suppose as J Gordon Anderson says, the continuing churches don't have a lot on the ball. Maybe NOW is the time to walk with them to help them have congregations, structures, canons, rules, regulations....

And then, my internal Imp says, maybe there's a lesson in this that we need LESS structures, canons, rules, regulations..... for upon the rock of procedure and rule and precedent is the TEC foundering. There is no Gospel...

Just my 2 cents, Susan Lee

Adam said...

Jeff,

I feel your pain. I really do. Central PA was my diocese of a couple of years, and I have enjoyed nothing better than getting out of it and taking refuge at Grace & St. Peter's. At least the outgoing bishop was tolerant. Lord knows how Bishop Baxter (that looks weird in print) will be toward those with whom he disagrees.

There really isn't anything I can say to make you feel better. I wish I had something like that to offer. I can only say look forward to your next stage with anticipation. Once you get out of Central PA things will probably start to look at lot brighter. Like I said, I know where you're coming from (literally).

We miss you at GASP. Come see us some time if you have a chance.

Best,

Adam Barner