Monday, March 05, 2007

Discernment Update


I was recently reminded how impersonal my entries have been of late, so I thought I should give you an update of my discernment.

Last month I finally finished the application for Postulancy in the Diocese of Quincy, Illinois (including psychological exam, physical exam, and a paper on my faith journey and biography.) The most difficult part of the paper was writing about my faith journey (including significant events, persons, and things that have influenced how I see myself as a person of faith), under 2000 words. I find it easier to write with pen and paper than with a computer (yes, I’m that old fashion), so when I typed up what I had written I realized I had exceeded the 2000 word limit. After a couple rewrites I was able to edit it down within the limit. I have to admit that writing about where I have been and where I am going in my faith was very enlightening although at times excruciating. I really dislike writing about myself. I can only hope I was successful. I tried to be as concise and honest as possible. And I had Greg reread and edit any of my incoherent blabbering. The best part of the application was answering the question “What are the major differences between a lay person and an ordained person?” Since this was more of a theological question it was much more enjoyable researching and answering this question.

I recently talked to the Diocese, they want me to reapply to Nashotah House and make sure I will be able to get in before I continue the process of Postulancy. This will require money. The main reason I was unable to attend last year was because I didn’t have the money or support to pay for it.

As a “refugee” aspirant from a heterodox diocese (Maryland) to an orthodox one (Quincy) I lose some of the support I may have gotten from my home diocese. Nashotah House will cost $81,000 for 3 years of study required to get a Masters of Divinity. An unattainable amount if I was left to my own devices.

So, this is what I’ll be working on next. I will need at least $17,000 to start the first year of seminary. I’m going to be writing as many people/churches that I think will be willing to give me support. If it is God’s will for me to get that support I’ll start seminary in this fall.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great post, Jeff. We are praying for you.

Anonymous said...

Jeff, I came across your blog via Fr. Jones' (S. Peter's London Docks).

I am in the same place as you. I am from Ft. Worth. My wife Laura and I just went to Nashotah last week for the "Experience Nashotah" weekend, which was good.

Did you attend also? There were so many people there that I did not have the chance to meet.

Lord willing, I too will be there in August.

Hopefully we can meet in person sometime soon.

XC,
Andy

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff,

I popped onto your site from Anglo-Catholic Ruminations and happen to live in Maryland and know that Fr. Jason Catania (a big-time Catholic from what I understand) at Mt. Calvary Church in Baltimore did a year of Anglican Studies at Nashotah House & was ordained in Quincy. Why don't you contact him and see how he paid for things? I'm an aspirant in the to the left of heterodox Diocese of Indianapolis, and was thinking of doing a few years at St. Mary's Seminary in Baltimore before moving onto General or Bexley Hall. St. Mary's is much cheaper, but if you can find a way to pay for the whole 3 years at Nashotah House, go for it!
Anyway, seems to me that Fr. Catania would be a good resource person in any case. Hope this rambling comment might be of help.

jeff said...

Andy thanks for stopping by. I am a big fan of your blog. I hope we will meet one day as well. Pray for me brother!

jeff said...

Hoosierpalian:

Its funny you should mention Fr. Catania... He's the one that told me about transferring to Quincy. (I'm from Baltimore.) This option of going to a Catholic seminary for an M. Div or Masters of Theology and then an Episcopal/Anglican one for the year Anglican Studies program, does seem to be the most economical. (But then so would completely converting to Rome ;-)…

Thanks for your comment, it is something I have to think about. And maybe ask the Bishop about... The Diocese of Quincy really only encourages students to go to Nashotah. Although they also recommend Trinity School of Ministry (which would be cheaper but I’m too Anglo-Catholic at this point to really be able to tolerate 3 years of that….)