Saturday, July 22, 2006

God and Mammon

Nashotah House is not accepting my application for this year. Their excuses were a lack of discernment (they forgot that I was in the discernment process in Maryland) and was in spiritual direction for even longer. And money. I think the fact that I'm currently unemployed didn't help. They said "were are not in the business of putting people into bankruptcy." But they didn't say I will need a certain amount saved to reapply. (I think it is just the effort). And the fact that I'm single didn't seem to help either. They said if I had a wife she could work for me. At this point I don't think Bp. Ackerman will be able to help. In fact they told me that even if their reasons are in error they won't change their decision. I will call the Bishop to let him know. I still want to become a postulant in the Diocese of Quincy. I most likely will have to move there and find a job.... What a disaster.

3 comments:

J. Gordon Anderson said...

Jeff, I am sorry to hear that. That definitely sucks. God's plans and timing are not ours. I presume it would not have helped to challenge them on the discernment issue since there was still the larger issue of finances. I will give you a call. hang in there, and keep your eyes on God. He has a very good reason for the way He times things. I was given the "thumbs down" the first time I applied to seminary too.

jeff said...

thanks father.... although i can't help but think if they are so willing to turn me down for truly unsubstanial reasons and couldn't really tell me what i needed to to satisfy their demands besides get a job (i mean i only just quit and moved) what will keep them from rejecting me later. I think they were prejudice against me for other reasons and the discernment and money were just convienant excuses. The fact is that Qunicy alows aspirants to start seminary as long as they become postulants before the second semester. Who are they to argue against the Bishop who supported my application... And hope Bp. Ackerman will get a better explanation than i did. I definitely have alot to think about... If i'm in error i want to change.

Adam said...

Jeff,

I'm sorry to hear about this. It really sucks that you have to be there, and yet aren't going to be going to seminary. Keep us updated.

Best,

Adam from GASP